WHAT WE DO
NCRI helps with joint planning and coordination among its members. We focus on areas where progress could not be achieved by a single member organisation on its own.
Specifically, the NCRI:
- maintains a Cancer Research Database, and undertakes analyses of what research is being done - this informs decisions about new research
- organises the annual NCRI Cancer Conference - the major forum in the UK for showcasing the best British and international cancer research
- develops initiatives on specific topics, to which a group of members will contribute (eg, programmes in prostate cancer or in cancer prevention)
- helps to coordinate clinical trials and experimental cancer medicine research within networks throughout the UK - this boosts clinical trials
- develops facilities and resources for research (eg, the collection of tumour samples or trying to make the management of research data more effective, ie. informatics)