NCRI Pathology Leads
Professor Andy Hall is NCRI Pathology Lead for Cancer Biobanking
Dr Bridget Wilkins is NCRI Pathology Lead for NHS engagement in Biobanking
They provide leadership and guidance to NCRI’s work in encouraging cooperation and coordination of cancer biobanking and also in fostering the role of pathology in research.
Fostering the Role of Pathology in Research
In 2009 the NCRI Pathology & Research Task Force produced a report identifying three key action areas to encourage and enable pathologists to engage with research. The Task Force was established because research based in pathology or reliant on pathology was felt to be under such pressure in the UK that the development of new and more personalised treatments for patients would be badly affected.
The action areas were:
- Rejuvenate and enable pathology research in medical schools, universities and the NHS
- Create a clear and practical pathway through the regulatory and governance framework to make pathology research more accessible
- Promote and create enhanced recognition of the patient benefit arising from pathology research.
Further information includes:
- Fostering the role of pathology in research
- Executive summary
- Full report
- The Effect of Regulation and Governance on Research Led by Pathologists or Involving Pathology in the UK - a Survey Report
- Difficulties With and Solutions to Pathologists’ Engagement with Research:2009 - Workshop programme and presentations