Dr Clare Verrill organised a meeting on the 21st March 2017 attended by CM-Path members, as well as representatives from the MHRA, Genomics England, industry, clinical trial units, Cancer Research UK and the Experimental Cancer Medicine Centres. Following on from several teleconferences, the day aimed to identify best practice guidance for quality assurance in clinical trials in several areas:
- Regulation and accreditation for labs
- Training for pathologists undertaking clinical trial work
- Clinical trial work – oversight processes
- Clinical trial work – lab processes
- Clinical trial work – scoring/reporting
Working groups are now preparing a suite of publications, which aim to provide consensus and guidance to support clinical trial pathologists and to promote the harmonisation of processes where possible.